BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Man vs. Wild Will Ferrell Special: Basic Survival Through Sense of Humor

Just last night I intentionally delayed my sleep for the benefit of my boo in order to watch our favorite Discovery Channel program "Man vs. Wild." I love Bear Grylls because of his vast survival knowledge. Sure thing my Tuesday nights aren't complete when I'm not able to see this one hell of an ex- Special Forces soldier doing the unthinkable.

Unlike any other of Grylls' past adventures though, last night's program was different. As I am used to seeing Bear alone, viewing him with one of my favorite funny men, Will Ferrell, is just downright radical. And dare I say that sleeping late, though I'm really sleepy to the core, is just worth it.

In this joint extreme adventure special, Grylls and Ferrell braved the ice-bound terrain of far north Sweden, only equipped with the first's basic survival skills and the latter's infectious sense of humor. Together, they rappelled out of the helicopter, walk the icy mountain, built a shelter and tried to keep themselves warm in a sub-zero temperature, and even ate the eyeballs of a deer.

While it may seem so extreme (which I think really is), what I found really hilarious about this is that Ferrell, despite the cold and unexpected turn-out of events, remained cool (literally and metaphorically) and kept his humor intact. I mean let's face it, how can one still be funny when you are in the middle of nowhere with nothing but yourself and a survival man with you? Big question eh, but Ferrell was able to prove that sense of humor is a major defense for any troubles.

Being one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood have its perks, and Ferrell enjoyed such. But the funny man never stopped himself from becoming just the doting "hollywood actor," and stepped out from the band wagon of the metrosexual males. Instead, he embarked on an adventure that no other actors did before and threw away the security blanket provided by "lights, camera and action." With this, Will just proved that there is more to life than the four corners of a studio.

The credits may go to Bear for producing this program, but I say the hands-down is for Ferrell's because without any knowledge of what he got himself into, he left his security blanket behind, journeyed towards the highlands, and that is something one can truly brag about.

How I wish I'll be able to have my own adventure as that of Will. Certainly, ecstatic but at least free from the things that are slowly strangling me at the moment. I feel like I'm missing the entirety of what the outside could offer. One day I'm looking forward to a man vs. wild journey, and just the thought of it is already exhilirating.

A good night sleep after a long exhausting day courtesy of Bear and Will...

0 comments: